It’s now 24 hours ago I arrived here in hot Bangkok with just 60 items with me. For the next coming months I’ll be traveling asia, in a somewhat unplanned manner. It’s the first time I’m traveling longer than a month, and the first time I’m on my own.
Traveling like this has been on my mind for a while, and after reading this What I learnt from bootstrapping my startup from Thailand in six months post by @levels.io, on how to be traveling as a “digital nomade”, I made the decision that it soon was going to be my turn.
So here I am. In Bangkok, with my laptop, camera and 58 other items.
I’m ready to meet new people, explore Asia, and have a great time.
So what did I bring with me?
When packing for this trip I’ve spend quite some time reading blog posts on do and don’ts for Asia. There’s so much information out there, but I ended up following the principles of Expertvagabond gear guide. I decided to go “minimal”, and try the The 100 Thing Challenge, so the first thing was to find a relatively compact backpack, after a bit of research I ended up with a Osprey Exos 38 liter backpack, which is about half the size of a typical backpacker bag.
This is the items I decided to bring with me:
- 1x Osprey Exos 38 back bag
- 1x Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Day Pack
- 1x Sea To summit Bed liner
- 1x Sea To summit travel towel
- 1x Leatherman New Wave tool
- 1x Black Diamond headlamp
- 4x Eagle Creek Pack-It Cubes
- 2x Eagle Creek Compression Sacs
- 1x Shemagh
- 1x Sewing kit
- 2x Aloksak bags
- 1x First aid kit
- 1x Ducktape
- 2x Pens (sharpie + pen)
- 2x Locks
- 3x T-shirts
- 2x Tank tops
- 1x Long sleeved shirt
- 2x Long parts
- 4x Underpants
- 4x Pair of socks
- 2x Shorts
- 1x Toms shoes
- 1x Uniqlo Termo West
- 1x Nike Free 5.0 shoes
- 1x Macbook Air + charger
- 1x Fuji X100s + charger
- 1x Kindle Voyage
- 1x Ankor USB charger + Micro USB cable
- 1x GoPro Hero 4 Silver + accessories
- 1x Travel power adaptor
- 4x Creditcards
- 1x Passport + passport photos (for visa)
- 1x Drivers license
- 1x Toothbrush + painkillers + malaria meds
- 3x Coffee Collective coffee (a gift to Ake from Roots Coffee, not counted)
Total: 60 items
So I have 60 items with me. Is it enough? It's it too much? I don't know. Time will tell.
I’m in Bangkok for the next week or so, and after that I’m probably headed for Cambodia. I haven’t made the decision yet, so let’s see where I’ll end up.