To many front-end developers this is a ubiquitous dream, but is it really?
About a month ago I launched an idea I’ve had for a while. The idea is called RemoteDebug, and is an initiative to unify remote debugging across browsers. As a part of my presentation at FullFrontal conference where I talked about RemoteDebug, I demoed an early prototype of using Chrome DevTools together with Mozilla Firefox.
I want to tell you a bit more about the prototype.
Lately I’ve been working with the Web Notifications API, and while working I realized that Chrome ins’t following the specification. In this post I will take you through the messy state of Web Notifications.
Soon after followed WebKit-based browsers via it’s own notification system, and exposed as an webkit-prefixed API. The Webkit notifications was available on all major platforms, but never became popular. Most likely because the of each notification wasn’t what I could call pretty.
I’m sitting here at Google headquaters in Mountain View, and is trying to sum up my take aways from this years Google IO 2013. At the conference I had a chat with Paul Irish and Pavel Feldman on where the Chrome developers tools are headed, which has spurred me to write this blog post.
The web development workflow has been on my mind for a while. I’ve been talking about it at a number of CopenhagenJS meet-up’s, but now is the time put my thoughts down into a blog post.
My passion is to build tools. I love building the fundamental lego-bricks that other’s can combine in ways I didn’t imagine. The past years I’ve been building Podio, a work platform where we have enabled more then 50.000 organizations to work better by enabling them to build their own tools.
Update: grunt-dependencygraph has been replaced by dependo - a more modular version, wrapped up as a NPM-package with both an API, CLI and Grunt task.
It all started a few months back when I started our “AMDification project” at Podio, where we decided to introduce AMD in our codebase, in order to take advantage of tools like RequireJS, and r.js.
More importantly I also wanted to gain a better overview of the dependencies in our code, by being able to extract the module definitions and their dependencies in a systematic way. Using AMD has enabled this in a simple way, because much of the tooling already existed.